A long established, traditional, college owned property, independently run, character pleasant 20 room Metro Hotel very close to Oxford city centre, with a garden leading down to the banks of the River Thames with tranquil views from the restaurant at breakfast. We take pride in our personal service and friendly staff.
"Large enough to be comfortable ..
.. small enough to be friendly"
We are conveniently located close to the centre of Oxford, making it a short walk to tourist, business and travel needs. We are one of the closest hotels to the Said Business School, 100 metres from the hotel, while the King's Conference Centre is a short walk away along the River Thames towpath. We are an easy walk to Oxford main station, making it an easy commute to Culham (10 mins), Radley (6 mins) Bicester Village (14 mins), Didcot Parkway (12 mins) and Birmingham International (58 mins).
We are within easy walking distance to the newly opened Westgate Shopping in the centre of Oxford and with car parking on site you can leave your car with us and walk to the shops.
Lying on the banks of the River Thames, overlooking Osney Island Conservation area, the River Hotel is perfectly located at the start (or end) of the 'Thames Path' route between Newbridge and Abingdon. There is boat mooring on the opposite side of the river.
Every morning we offer a well presented table service breakfast freshly cooked items to order and a buffet in our river restaurant overlooking our garden and the River Thames. Our kitchen has consistently been awarded top marks with a 'very good' rating for food hygiene. Check our current Food Hygiene Rating.
With regular bus and train connections to London, taking just one hour to Paddington or Marylebone, Oxford is an ideal tourist friendly city to be based while visiting London, as well as other heritage sights in all directions.
The River Hotel has, since 2007, consistently been awarded a quality Metro Hotel rating by Visit England for our Quality in Tourism. As a Metro Hotel we 'provide full hotel services with the exception of dinner' and we are 'within easy walking distance of a range of places to eat'. When comparing hotel gradings be aware there are marked differences between a 2* hotel compared to 2* guest accommodation.
- Reception is staffed all day from 9am to 11pm by friendly, knowledgable local staff, with a happy smile offering personal service.
- 24 hour access for registered guests.
- Free car park for residents, with CCTV security. You are welcome to leave your car longer after check-out.
- Breakfast service is from 8am during the week, later at weekends (arrangements can be made in case of early departure) in the River Restaurant overlooking the river. Start with cereals, yoghurts and fruit from the extensive buffet, teas and coffee, followed by a cooked English breakfast with fresh ingredients prepared to order. Attention to detail is the key and a homely approach - there are a plenty of condiments to choose to ensure you enjoy the most important meal of the day.
- Our metro grading, does not offer lunch or dinner service. However, there are a variety of fine establishments within easy walking distance of the hotel.
- We do have a Residents' Bar - and a large lawn leading down to the River.
- Check-out at 11am on day of departure.
- Free secure left-luggage room.
- Taxi service, order in advance from reception.
- Maps, guidebooks and brochures on local interests available.
- A meeting room is available for small seminars and meetings.
- Walking the Thames - we can arrange your luggage transfer in partnership with Move My Bags
- Hiring a car? Walking distance to the main car hire companies, including Avis, Hertz, Europcar and Budget (5 minute walk).
Selection of Our Rooms
No facilities are available for this room!
- Internet Access
Annexe Triple Room (triple Occupancy) En-suite Bathroom (inc. Breakfast)
- Climate Control
- Tea and Coffee Maker
- Hair Dryer